“Check out these fun facts about Pine Forest Camp!”
- Pine Forest was founded by Hughie Black, a teacher and professional basketball player. His team the Philadelphia SPHAS (South Philadelphia Hebrew Athletic Society) was the beginning of the Philadelphia Warriors (now the Golden State Warriors) and the Philadelphia 76ers. Hughie and his team are celebrated in the basketball Hall of Fame in Springfield, Massachusetts.
- Established in 1931, Pine Forest was started in 1931 and is still owned and operated by its original family on the same land, making it one of the oldest camps under continuous ownership in America.
- Pine Forest is located in the middle of 1,000 acres of woodlands but is only an hour and half away from NYC.
- Campers come from 404 towns, 11 states and 6 countries.
- The return rate of eligible campers is 98% and there are almost 100 new campers every summer, taking the place of those who “graduate”.
- In partnership with Rustic Pathways our 11thgraders do community service, working with underprivileged children in Costa Rica.
- The ratio of staff to campers is 1 staff member for every 2 campers.
- An “Old-timers” Tree stands in the middle of camp with the names of those campers and counselors who have attended Pine Forest for at least 10 years. There are over 400 names on the tree.